Al-Aqsa Tensions Rise as Two Palestinians Martyred in Clashes with IOF

Al-Aqsa Tensions Rise as Two Palestinians Martyred in Clashes with IOF

Anticipating a demolition, local residents in the village of Kobar said the family emptied its home of valuables Saturday.

Over the phone, the two sides exchanged their evaluation of the situation, emphasizing the importance of stopping further escalation of the situation between Israeli Palestinians and the removal of all restrictions imposed by Israel on Muslims worshipping at Al-Aqsa.

Over the past week, there have been daily demonstrations and clashes between Israeli forces and Palestinians.

Anger has spilled across the West Bank since last week when Israel shut the Al-Aqsa Mosque, following a deadly shootout.

Jordan and Turkey, among Israel's few Muslim interlocutors, have urged the removal of the metal detectors. "It's not like the security coordination is an Israeli need".

Israel army commanders said they were readying for more attacks from lone-wolf assailants and more mass demonstrations.

Three Palestinians were killed and 400 wounded in clashes following Friday's massive Muslim prayers and protests over security measures and restricting access to Temple Mount in East Jerusalem.

A fourth Jerusalem-area Palestinian was killed on Saturday when an explosive device he was building went off prematurely, the Israeli military said.

Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman visited the site of the attack, the Israeli settlement of Halamish, and consulted with top commanders.

Abbas called on all Palestinian employees to donate one day's pay to support Jerusalem.

Resident Of Jerusalem, Ayat Abu Libdah said "These gates (referring to metal detectors) affect our religion, they should remove these gates because this is a sacred site".

It did not elaborate but said it was in addition to hundreds of soldiers in place Friday over tensions at a major Jerusalem shrine.

As other ministers warned of the risk of "large scale volatility", Israel deployed thousands of extra troops to the West Bank.

Fatah called a general strike and three days of mourning in honor of the three dead protesters, who appear to have been killed by Israeli live fire.

Police Superintendent and spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said on Twitter, "Names of three Israelis murdered in Friday night attack by Palestinian terrorist, Yosef Solomon age 70, Chaya Solomon age 46, Elad Solomon age 36". Al-Abed is hospitalized in Israel after being shot.

"The PA has taken significant steps during President Abbas' tenure (2005 to date) to ensure that official institutions in the West Bank under its control do not create or disseminate content that incites violence", it claimed.

Related Articles